Tuesday, July 5, 2011

And they say running is fun

Well fun may be a stretch... 

I made it out to the park by 7:10am yesterday morning to register (sign the waiver) for the Oldest Run in Sacramento. I can't lie...it was difficult to get out of bed this morning. It was even harder to get out of the car after parking. It was lonely out there waiting for the race to start. But running can be social sport, if you want it to be. It is also a form of solace. Once I put my headphones on and started my warm-up walk, the loneliness dropped away. 

Yesterday was my longest run to date. It is interesting to hear people who love to run talk about 5Ks and 5 miles as short races. For those of us just starting out, we think "short?" WTH? Especially, after crossing the finish line 1 hour and 4mins later. That is NOT a short run in my opinion. 

I can say that I did walk a good portion of the run. Which proves you should eat at least 45 mins before working out. I needed a boost of energy and a potty break (like a dummy, I drank 1/2 a bottle of Smart Water before the run -ugh!). 

All in all, I'm glad I did get up, get there and get out of the car. I'm glad that my pace was 12.34 min/mile. I'm glad to say that I completed 5 miles in 1 day! 

That's the way to kick off the 4th of July. 

1 comment:

to dream the KIMpossible dream said...

I'm so proud of you, LaShaune! For the record...even though I have completed half marathons, I still think 5 miles is far!

That's a great time, too!

There is something about running that makes me always have to go to the bathroom. I'm always amazed by those people who can do half marathons or fulls without stopping for a bathroom break. I've managed to not stop for either of my 2 10Ks that I've done, but not because I haven't had to go...just out of sheer willpower cuz I didn't want it to jack with my time. haha!

You are rockin' this running thing! =)