Friday, January 29, 2010

What Fast?

Well, I'm not sure about an actual financial fast, but I have tried to not shop, unless it's a total necessity.  So what may seem like an absolute necessity to someone, may seem like a frivolous want to another.

What I've purchased this month:

1. Working Denim (as my friend calls them) Slacks - I've been wanting a pair since last pair I owned are super huge and the crotch hangs between my knees - not sexy. $5 resale
2. Socks.  At Christmas, I was given socks along with my new sneakers.  Nike socks (black) and no-names (white).  I love the socks, especially the no-namers. So I bought 6 pairs - $10
3. Workout pants. Needed. Really needed. 2 pair on clearance. $3/$5 respectively. Have to return the $5 pair since they're too small.
4. Car wash. Total waste of money, but I had a bunch of errands to do and not enough time to do them all - $17 (with tip).
5. Stretching and Toning - a book by Melissa Cosby.  I gave my copy to my fella (he really needs to stretch, which should ease his lower back pain). Since we don't live together, I wanted to replace the copy I gave him. $4 (includes shipping & was the same amount that I spent on the original purchase).

I've spent a total of $44 this month (not including the 1 lunch with a co-worker, 3 days of parking, 1 dinner with my guy).

So, I'm not completely on the no-shopping bandwagon and very far behind the 21-day financial fast. HOWEVER, I have curbed my spending (in my opinion) and that's a great feat for me. I did receive my tax refund and have caught up on my 2 major bills. I feel ready to start Feb off on the right foot using Dave Ramsey's envelope method.

Action plan:
1. Pull out old budget sheet, compare with new budget sheet.
2. Limit eating out to 1 monthly meal.
3. Use envelope method to curb spending

3 comments:

Pauline Wiles said...

Well, I don't know what your overall budget is, but your January spending looks entirely reasonable to me. The things you did buy, you got at great prices. And I'm glad you got those 2 big bills taken care of. Pat yourself on the back and move on to feeling even better about your finances in February!

Angela said...

good for you. xo : ) You have more will power than I do.

LaShaune said...

@Struggler: Budget? What's that? That's been my problem, but I'm working on it. I feel a tremendous weight lifted off getting those 2 major bills paid and am delighted that neither will be reported as late - whew!

@SG - I'm learning this thing called will power in all aspects of my life - it's a long, hard journey but will pay off in the end!