Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thankful



With the passing of Thanksgiving, it affords us time to reflect on what we are thankful for. In these harsh times of a devastating economy, an unjust war, increase in poverty and crime, being thankful is almost criminal in itself.

If so, then I will gladly commit the crime. I am thankful for my family - my natural and my absorbed. I call parts of my family absorbed since, technically, we are closer than friends but not family. They are sisters I can call on when I need to vent, cry, yell, laugh or when they need me to do the same.

I am thankful that even after Ike, I still have a solid roof over my head (no blue tarps) and that I can pay my mortgage on time.

I am thankful that this semester is almost over and that I will finally, after ______ years will have completed my undergrad degree.

I am thankful that it has taken me ______ years to complete my degree because this has allowed me to FINALLY realize what I want to do with the rest of my life and how I can make an impact upon the world.

I am thankful that it has taken me ____ years to complete my degree because the time has allowed me to experience events that I will take with me for a lifetime (almost all of them good experiences).

I am thankful that I have a wonderful man in my life. He brightens my days and warms my nights (except when it's 80 degrees at midnight, then there's no need for warmth). He talks with me and to me. He keeps me grounded, but allows me to dream.

I am thankful that I have the opportunity to voice my disgust, my joys, my aspirations, my fears without repercussions or detention.

I am simply thankful for this year, the year of the Rat, my year! I have tried to live within its full potential and experience all that I can.

I am hopeful that next year will be just as great, if not better, than this year.

Image courtesy of: http://sarahheidt.mennonite.net/.cWcustom/shop/products_new.php?page=3

No comments: