Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Newsflash Houston - It's Winter!

As I glided in on my way to work this morning, it dawned on me that people here don't really own winter clothes. Folks may say that it's only cold 2 weeks out of the year in Houston, but for the past 6 years I've been here, we've had an actual winter. Personally, I own 3 winter coats, 1 suede jacket, 2 leather jackets, 1 down-filled ski jacket and a slew of thick sweaters. Contrary to popular belief, jackets are different from coats. A jacket is lightweight and meant for those breezy, not so warm days. A coat is made of wool and used on the nipple chiller days - you know, those "colder than a witche's tit" days.

So today on the land crab, I noticed folks in all manners of dress - mostly scrubs since I was heading to the medical center. People wear fleece and shiver, leather and shiver and nothing at all and shiver. Hello people, it's winter - it was probably 48 degrees by the time I got on the train. I only have on a long sleeve shirt and pants and frankly I needed a jacket! But these other folk - I don't know their excuses...wearing jackets and pulling on the sleeves because their hands are cold, women wearing men's hats - good lawd. Someone should take them all on a field trip to Burlington Coat Factory and show these yokels what winter clothes look like.

It's global warming - our temperatures have been changing for the past 10 years. Hello, it snowed here twice within 4 years - something's going on.

A piece of advice I offer to you...buy a COAT, a pair of gloves, a nice scarf, and if you must don a chapeau - make it stylish for your head - not mannish!

1 comment:

Angela said...

keep warm. happy new year.