Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I am a runner and so are you

Reading My Journey to Fit yesterday reminded me that I hadn't cross-posted from my SparkPeople blog from last week.  She really hit the nail on the head as to why I run.  Do you run? Did you just start or have been running for a while? Why do you run?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From my SparkPeople blog:

I've had a difficult time accepting this title I've put on myself.

Why? Because I jog/run/walk through races - I don't run 3 miles straight through, not even on the treadmill. But after my last 2 training runs that has somewhat changed (still not running straight through).

I am a runner.

Why? Because I train; because I listen to my breath; because I watch my heart rate increase with each step and decrease with each rest; because I work on fueling properly; because I've fallen while running; because I've endured a minor injury; because I still have to remember to stretch; because I've done it in the rain; because I have 3 medals , several tech shirts, and various race bibs. But simply put - because I get out on the road, track, or trail, laced up and I do it.

Oh yeah, and I've paid race fees!

I never liked running. I hated doing PT while in ROTC in college. I was always the one behind the traffic patrol trying to keep up. I did other things to stay active - I played tennis, I walked, I rode my bike, I bought plenty of fitness vids over the years. But a move to Sacramento spurred a reason to get out and meet people. I joined Black Girls Run and have been running, jogging, slogging ever since. I am now learning to run without music (or at least only 1 headphone). I want to work on my endurance and actually run the first 3 miles of my races.

So if you don't consider yourself a runner...think again. Even if you run for 60s or only get in a half a mile or a mile, it doesn't matter. The fact that you laced up your sneakers, hit the road and put miles on your shoes makes you a runner too.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

You are most definitely a runner. Really hope we can connect in SA as we set about ROCKIN' that half!

P.S. Thanks for the shout out! :)